- Our Supporters' Stories
- Past Years
- Original 2014 website
- Sign In
Purpose of Club
To promote lung cancer awareness and activism in our community through various fundraisers benefiting Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Primary event: The Legwork for Lungs 5k and Mile Walk is an annual event that will take place in the beginning of each November (Lung Cancer Awareness Month). There is also a 1-mile fitness walk, Tug-o-War Battle, raffle, and carnival games. Over $40,000 in total funds have been raised by this event over the past 6 years.
Yes, activism within Legwork for Lungs counts towards the Sophomore required Community Service Hours as well as general Communtiy Service within Ridge High School. Please click here for more details.
Our 20-21 officers are listed below:
President- Audrika Chattaraj
Frequency of Meetings
Students will meet every Monday morning in Mr. Galesi's (our Faculty Advisor) room. They will be used to make sure that club members are up to date in their assignments and to discuss any issues as a group. All other information will be distributed electronically via email or social media.
- Hold at least 2 major events over the course of each school year
- Continually update and maintain event website with educational and informational materials
- Conduct and record interviews with doctors, hospital administrators, and researchers to compile an ongoing database of relevant information
Structure of Club
The Legwork for Lungs 5k Run & Mile Walk will be our first major event of the year, but we will try to hold at least to annually, which means the other one is up to a vote. Depending on what choices members of the club present, we will decide as a team on which would be the best for the club based on a variety of criteria. Members: please don't limit yourself! We will examine every idea with equal weight, and we're certain that we can do much greater things than you realize.
- Liberty Science Center Cancer Exhibit- This event will involve students creating a mini-exposition at the Liberty Science Center in New Jersey educating kids about cancer from a biology perspective. Demonstrations, informational videos, and informational posters will all be a part of this display. Event date: September 17th
- Art Auction - This will involve a collaboration with local artists to hold one large auction or a series of small ones, where a section of the artist’s profits goes directly to Memorial Sloan Kettering.
- Outdoor Movie Night - Bring together members of our community for a screening of a popular film, with seating and food provided and tickets bought at the entrance.
Anticipated Budget Requirements
None. All necessary funds will be raised by club members through various means, requiring no administrative monetary assistance.
Anticipated Fundraising Plans
5k: Online donations, local business sponsors, registrants’ fees
Funds for all other events will be taken out of event proceeds. Sources may vary but entry fees, profits, or donations are all viable options.
The Legwork for Lungs Club is self-sustained and self-funded by the club’s activities.